Today many of you may have noticed the (RED)TM word underneath your Google search bar.
Well, if you click on the link you will get a little preview from Bono explaining that today is World AIDS Day with some instructions on how you can help. (via YouTube)
Orkut users are already getting involved in the effort (some have been for a while) and here is a brief summary of what is happening within the English speaking forums.
- Over in the AIDS (HAPPY WORLD AIDS DAY) community, members are helping out Vickey on a project she is doing on the virus, giving her tips and info to make her presentation better.
- In the Red Ribbon -Fight Against AIDS forum, Parul has started a questions and answers thread, where users can post question such as how long can hiv survive in the air, and where did the [first] person who was HIV positive get it from?
Also within the same community, Luv... reminds everyone that HIV infected people should not be kicked out of society but rather cared for.
- Putting my study in the fight against HIV/AIDS forum asks an interesting question by wondering if HIV can spread thru articles used inn Barber's shop (as in scissors or other tools that barber's use).
The answer seems very reassuring.
- In the Heed-HIV community, Alicja points members towards this video in which a reporter interviews a person who received AIDS through no fault of her own.
- Last but not least, if any users have questions or concerns regarding HIV/AIDS you can visit the HIV/AIDS Professionals community where self-professed experts can advise you on what to if you have run into any "unhappy situations" (and it looks like they have already calmed down one person's fears).
You can find out on more ways to help by visiting the Join RED Blog or by visiting the main site for more details.
Update: I know I'm a little late in the game, but the Official Google Blog is also mentioning the (RED)TM campaign.
Also, Blogger Buzz has a cool button you can add to your weblog in order to show your support. I would highly recommend adding it (which is great if you are unable to Buy Red due to Christmas shopping).