That's a good question. I'm not sure what is the right answer to your question. I'll do some research in Google and get back to you if I bump into an useful answer. You should email the people at iPage as they probably can help you..
I did close them. I forgot to put that in my post, but they are there in my page code..
That'll teach me.
I hadn't even looked at anything, I just thought you only needed the one. sorry!.
XHTML 1.1 is awfully strict, and frankly, I don't like it. sometimes it seems like it's barely even related to HTML. would you be interested in trying it as XHTML 1.0 transitional? that's by far the most forgiving version. all of the sites i've seen that claim to be valid use that doctype, including sites by veritable coding gods..
I just don't get it, so hopefully someone else knows about that extra .1 in the XHTML. to me, it's just a lot of weirdness. sorry I couldn't be a bit of help!..
Just for the record, the same errors come up when you.
Validate with XHTML 1.0 Strict.
, so it isn't just 1.1, it is XHTML in general..
That's quite all right, Transmothra. Thanks for looking at it. XHTML doesn't seem to be nearly as well documented as HTML. It is very hard to find information I need in the specifications...
This sort of problem is just one reason, of many, why I avoid XHTML like the plague..
Most people are serving up their HTML using the wrong MIME type anyway, but using the correct one breaks Internet Explorer 6 quite spectacularly as well. I see that XHTML 2 will not be backwards compatible with XHTML 1 or 1.1, so I am waiting to see that supported well in version 9 or 10 browsers before dropping HTML 4.01 Transitional...
Here you go mate. I have made the page XHTML 1.1 compliant for you and big congrats to you as I only made two changes!.
1) Removed the lang attribute from the <html> tag, as this is invalid in HTML 4.01 strict (which XHTML 1.1 uses).
2) Your <blockquote> tags did not contain a block-level element (again, a HTML 4.01 Srict requirement!).
In short, your page did not validate because you had errors with the HTML part of the validation and NOT the XHTML part. For your info, you can always know this because when a validation test fails it will say it find problems with the SGML if it is a failure to validate against the HTML specification (as opposed to failing against the XHTML specification). You had no XML errors at all. Well done..
Thank you very much torrent. The worst part is, I knew that blockquote needed a block level element inside of it. It just apparently slipped my mind this time..
As for the lang="en-us," I know that it is not allowed, but if I don't put it in, Opera won't render my quote marks, since it doesn't seem to recognize the xml:lang attribute. Since I'm going to keep it in there, I will go ahead and switch to XHMTL 1.0 Transitional, but it is very good to know that it is the only thing keeping me from following the strict rules..
Good information to have. Thanks. I think I actually understand XHTML better now, due to your posts in the last few days about it...